WHAT IS GIVING TUESDAY?
“GivingTuesday is a global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world.”
“It was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past seven years, this idea has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.”
A summary of Rockfish Valley Foundation’s (RVF) contributions to the community is below – be a part of #GivingTuesday this year and start your holiday season off right by donating to RVF!
WHO WE ARE:
RVF, founded in 2005, offers the following to the Nelson community free of charge:
- Rockfish Valley Trail System
- Spruce Creek Park, with it’s Children’s Nature Trail and Native Plant Walk
- Natural History Center (NHC)
Our park includes six miles of trails along creeks and the Rockfish River where dogs can enjoy access to the water. Spruce Creek Park is the only public park in Nelson County. RVF also offers it’s NHC which is a nature and education museum which is affiliated with the Virginia Museum of Natural History. It connects the indoors with the outdoors to promote our MISSION OF ENVIRONMENTAL LITERACY.
WHY GIVE TO RVF TODAY?
Rockfish Valley Foundation (RVF) has chosen this Giving Tuesday to ask for a special gift in addition to annual fund drive donations. Lighting upgrades to the NHC and these funds will support that.
Since its founding in 2005, RVF has grown from dream to reality as a community asset for Nelson County, VA. For 17 years, Betsy and Peter Agelasto have worked tirelessly with many trustees and super volunteers to introduce and expand its three facilities. It’s time for them to transition but it’s also time to elevate all facilities to their best. In 2022 we concentrated on developing native plantings and creating self guided tours in the museum and trails. The lighting needs are identified and a priority.
- Refresh and light the big RVF letter changing identification sign on RT 151 at the parking entrance (Picture 1)
- Add safety lights on the steps going up to the entrance doors of the museum. (Picture 2)
- Create lighted student workspaces with outlets and charging stations MAJOR! (Picture 3)
- Update lighting for exhibit display, cabinets, shelves and wall panels. (Picture 4)
- Improve outdoor lighting and signage surrounding the NHC building. (Picture 5)
HOW MUCH SHOULD YOU GIVE?
In addition to RVF’s goal of $4,000.00 for LIGHTING NEEDS, your support is still needed to fund our programs and developments. While any sized contribution is greatly appreciated, the size of the donation will affect the extent to which our programs can be supported. With your support, we will continue to develop and expand our environmental education opportunities for underserved youth.
Thanks for your support. Support environmental literacy. Help get kids outdoors to EAT MORE DIRT!